Cosplay Contest General Rules
Our cosplay competition is open also to the foreign cosplayers who want to take part in it. Those who want to participate are welcome to register for the regular cosplay competitions. However, in accordance to the general rules, EuroCosplay qualifiers will be available only for the Romanian cosplayers.
Art. 1 – General conduct rules
The cosplay contest doesn’t mean a mere competition per se, but, at the same time, an environment where you can show off to the public the costume in which you’ve invested a lot of hard work and in which you want to be admired; where you can be for a few minutes in the skin of your chosen character and try to behave like him/her; maybe even to learn a thing or two from other cosplayers. In other words, such contest means also an occasion to have fun and feel good together with other people who share the same hobby as you. Nevertheless, as in any other contest, this one also involves certain conduct rules both prior to, and during the contest:
- Obscene signs/gestures or words towards other contestants, volunteers, MC, judges, audience or organizers are not permitted.
- Screaming, shouting, yelling, or other similar SFX are not allowed. Please try to keep a decent voice tone.
- The contestants shall always follow the volunteers’ instructions in regard to the general organizing. Under no circumstances shall they act out on their own during the preparations for the contests and during the contest as such.
- Instigative and defiant gestures towards the judges, organizers or other contestants as a result of discontents related to the final top are not permitted.
Failure to comply with any of the conduct rules can have as result a decrease in points for the contestant or even the disqualifying from the contest.
Art. 2 – Permitted weapon-props, accessories, and costumes in the contest
According to the legislation, certain limitations regarding the accessories/props permitted in this contest are necessary, as follows:
- Swords, knives, shuriken etc. These will be made from non-metallic materials. In some cases metal is also permitted, but those props must be kept in their casing/sheath and must not be shown in public (except for the stage where the contest is taking place). The metal objects must not have sharp blades (they must be blunt) or pointed ends (they must be rounded; rule applies also to other materials).
- The bows will have no string, and the arrows will have no arrowhead.
- The pistols and other related weapon-props must have a small yellow or orange circle in the head, indicating the fact that they are props. Pistols are not permitted, regardless the ammunition (squibs, balls etc.).
- Metal chains longer than 20 cm are not permitted; if they are longer, they must be made of plastic or other materials.
- The weapon props will be used exclusively as costume accessories and exclusively on stage. Under no circumstances shall they be brandished, thrown or used for menacing purposes this is not allowed – not even as a joke. Such gestures can hurt the others and can trigger dangerous situations.
- Under no circumstances shall be permitted real weapons or objects that could be used as weapons, regardless of their type (knife, penknife, firecrackers etc). Those who are caught with such weapons will be banned from the convention premises.
- The organizers have the right to check, through a delegated volunteer, all the weapon props and the other accessories that are used in the contests. He/she shall immediately report any irregularity to the activity coordinator.
- In the solo cosplay contest, bought costumes are NOT permitted. They are allowed only in the group cosplay contest, where the costumes have a lesser (but not to be ignored) importance to the final result.
- Decency is a very important element for the proper development of the contest. Costumes that show more skin than fabric are not permitted. The same rule applies for gestures that show the underthings. For short skirts or short or transparent costumes, shorts or boxers are mandatory.
- Regarding the skits, for both the solo and group contests, performances that contain sexual allusions (implicit or explicit) are not permitted; this also includes yuri or yaoi allusions. During rehearsals, the organizers have the right, through a delegated volunteer, to disqualify the group or contestant who has such skits.
Art. 3 – Contest organizing and development
Each participant must purchase the general entrance ticket for one day in order to be able to take part in the contest. The tickets will be available for purchase at the entrance to the event venue.
The registrations for the contest are made online, until 30.04.2015 at the latest, on the festival website. It is not mandatory to have your costume ready when you register, but only for the contest itself (the costume used in the contest must be the same you have registered with). All registered contestants must come on Friday, 08.05.2015 at the Romanian-American University, at the cosplay desk, in a timeframe to be announced, in order to pick up the contest participation badge. The contestants who cannot arrive on Friday are kindly asked to pick up their badges on Saturday, 09.05.2015, in a timeframe to be announced. Those who don’t have their participant badge won’t be allowed to take part in the contest.
For groups, the registration is made by only one person, who is the group leader.
Rehearsals will take place both on Friday, and on Saturday. The rehearsals schedule is going to be announced on the website of the event.
2. The competitions
- The competitions will consist only of the artistic performance (skit, solo performance etc.).
- Only the persons who have registered prior to the contest are allowed to participate. For the solo contest, the stage appearance is made in reverse order from the registering order (i.e. the last registered person is the contestant who will perform first). For groups, the stage appearance is made according to the script theme (the contest will start with the more “serious” themed groups, followed by those with comedy scripts); within the same type of script, the performance order will be made according to the number of members (ex: the group with the smallest number of members and with non-comedy script will perform first).
- Due to the fact that the two contests are taking place in two different days, the same contestant has the right to register for both the solo contest, and for the group contest.
In regard to the artistic performance:
- The participants have the right to bring small modifications to the stage setting (extra stage props etc.) before the artistic performance they are going to have.
- The stage set (background curtain, lights etc) will be the same for all participants. There are NOT permitted major stage changes (lights, complex scenography that involves the alteration of the stage etc) or the using of fireworks or other pyrotechnic materials of any kind.
- We won’t provide microphones. All audio background for the performances must be recorded prior to the registration and sent via the registering form, in the format specified in the Requirements section below.
The start time of the contest will be announced in the festival timetable.
The jury will be made up of several members, who will be announced on the website of the event. The judges will interview the participants prior to the contest, for a more accurate evaluation.
3.1. The solo cosplay competition:
- Judging will be made in two stages, on Saturday (09.05.2015): one stage for the costume, and the other for the artistic performance.
- The judging of the costume will be made both during the rehearsals, and during the event, up to one hour prior to the solo cosplay competition.
- The judging of the artistic performance will be made during the solo cosplay competition.
- The contestants are kindly asked to come on Saturday (09.05.2015) dressed in the costume which they participate with, starting with an hour to be announced. A changing room will be made available for them. Further details or changes will be announced in due time.
- The solo cosplay contest will be judged according to evaluation criteria that take into account the following aspects: costume, accessories, make-up and wig, similarity with the chosen character, credibility and overall appearance.
3.2. The group cosplay competition:
- Judging will be made during the group cosplay competition, on Sunday (10.05.2015).
- The group cosplay competition will be judged according to evaluation criteria that take into consideration the following aspects: stage performance, originality, atmosphere, costume quality, overall quality of the skit and general appearance.
- The final results will be announced during the same day as the contests, shortly after each contest is finished.
The decision of the judges is final and irreversible and must be accepted as such.
- The reference images and audio background must be archived and sent via the registration forms until 30.04.2015 at the latest.
- Each participant/group will prepare the audio background beforehand, in.mp3 format (128 Kbps MINIMUM).
- The audio background must include the name of the participant/group in the file name.
- The time limit for the artistic performance for each individual contestant will be of 1:30 minutes.
- The time limit for the artistic performance for each group will be of:
- a. 3 minutes for groups of 2 persons
- b. 4 minutes for groups of 3 and 4 persons
- c. 5 minutes for groups of 5 – 8 persons
- The participants in the solo competition must include in the archive for the registration form an image of the chosen character as well, seen from the front, at the best possible resolution.
- It’s preferable that the contestants upload pictures as crisp as possible of the character, from as many angles as possible, in order to increase the evaluation accuracy for the judges.
- Each participant (and group member) shall send via the registration form a list with all the accessories (if the case) which they will have in the competition, in order for us to check their compliance with the rules, and to inform the judges.
- Each participant (and group) shall send (for the solo competition – only if the case) a clear briefing of the artistic performance (or the script) which will include all technical details (props, stage set changes etc.).
- For groups, the maximum number of members is of 8 persons.
All those who are registered for the competition but fail to comply with the above mentioned rules shall be disqualified.
At the same time, failure to comply with the above mentioned rules, depending on the severity of the issue, might have as result the banning from the competition and from the festival venue
The submissions for the Otaku Festival 2015 Solo & Group cosplay competitions have been closed. We’ll keep all participants updated via email!